Reinstatement for Former Members of NANB
In order to practise as a registered nurse (RN) or nurse practitioner (NP) in New Brunswick, you must be registered with the Nurses Association of New Brunswick (NANB). It is illegal to practise as a registered nurse or nurse practitioner in New Brunswick without a valid NANB registration.
If you are currently registered as a nurse or nurse practitioner in another province and have never been registered in New Brunswick, follow the instructions for Canadian RNs and NPs.
Application for Registration – Former NANB Members
Applicants must meet the registration requirements set out in NANB’s bylaws and rules. The following are requirements to reapply for registration:
- A completed Application for Reinstatement of Registration form if you have not been registered outside the province since your last active registration in New Brunswick.
A completed Out of Province Application for Reinstatement of Registration form if you have been registered elsewhere, including outside Canada, since your last active registration in New Brunswick.
- If your name has changed since you were last registered with NANB, you must provide official documentation linking your old name to your new name (e.g. marriage certificate or name change certificate).
- One of the following requirements must be met to prove current nursing knowledge and skills:
- Graduation within the past five years;
- A minimum of 1125 hours of active practise as an RN within the past five years (these hours must be sent to NANB directly from the employer);
- 450 hours of active practice as an RN within the past six months, plus a reference letter from your employer confirming your competence and recommending you for registration;
- Completion of an approved refresher program within the past five years;
- Post secondary education in nursing or healthcare within the past five years.
- Complete the Jurisprudence module found under your “My Profile” account on the NANB website.
- If you have practised nursing or were registered as a nurse in another province or country since your last active registration in New Brunswick, you must arrange for letters of good standing to be sent directly from all regulatory bodies where you have practised and/or been registered.
To do so, please complete section A of the Verification of Registration Form and forward it to the registration/licensing body (a fee may be required by other regulatory bodies to complete this form, so please check with them directly).
If you have practised nursing or were registered as a nurse in another province or country since your last active registration in New Brunswick, NANB will also require that you confirm at least 1125 hours of practice within the past five years in order to be eligible for registration.
Hours worked out of province must be confirmed by your employer. To do so, please have them complete the Confirmation of Hours form and forward it to NANB directly.
- Payment of all applicable fees once your application has been approved.